Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Moyer "Disheartened" By Move to Pen

Jamie Moyer feels like he was "misled" by Ruben Amaro Jr. when he was informed a few days ago that he would be moved to the bull pen. Here is what Jamie had to said:

I feel a little disheartened," Moyer said. "I feel a little bit like I've been misled. I feel like I've played this game long enough that the respect factor should be there. I'm really not happy with the decision that the Phillies have made."

"Ultimately, I'm a little disheartened because this past winter when I was negotiating with the Phillies, this was a sore thumb, if you will, about this potentially happening," Moyer said. "You can't promise anything in this game, but I really felt [general manager] Ruben [Amaro Jr.] parlayed to me that this type of situation would not happen. Actually, I even had some discussion with [team president] David [Montgomery] with them reassuring me that this type of situation wouldn't happen."

Even though Moyer was disappointed, hearing him say this was real comforting, knowing he isn't going to pout or pull a Jon Leiber:
"We're in first place," Moyer said. "I probably feel like I haven't contributed as well as I could have, but I think if you go around to the other 24 players on our club, they would probably say the same type of thing.

"Whether I like it or not, this is the situation I'm in. I will deal with it. I will deal with it in a respectful way. I'll be respectful to my teammates. I do not want to be a distraction and I refuse to be a distraction. It's about the 25 players that are here. We all have to pick each other up. We all have to support each other. We all have to be professional about what we do.

"This is a job that sometimes you're in situations that you like or dislike and you have to deal with it. That's why for me dealing with this like a man and taking whatever they choose to do. I'm an employee here, but I don't always have to like the situation that I'm in. And that's OK. Life goes on."

In other news, Pedro Martinez will be set to make his season debut tonight versus the Cubs at 8:05 ET on ESPN/CSN. He will be facing former Notre Dame wide receiver Jeff Samardija, who is making a spot start.

1 Comment:

whiteout said...

Good post, I have a similar one on my blog. :) GO PHILS!