Thursday, August 6, 2009

Top 10 Phillies Game Pet Peeves

My friend Dan MacNeal, who I used to write with on Justin Evans' "We Hate to Lose," compiled up a list of the top 10 pet peeves when attending a Phillies game. I found this list very humorous but I had to disagree with #10. The Phillie Phanatic demands our attention and we are allowed to give it to him over the game.

Here is his list:

1. Do not walk to/from your seat from the concessions during play
Seriously, you can't wait a minute while a guy is batting?

2. All fly balls are not Home Runs
Please watch the outfielders. There is a difference between getting close to the wall, and being shy of the warning track.

3. Show up on time, stay the whole time, or don't come
I can understand if you're coming to work, or you have a kid who needs to get home and go to bed, but if you want to show up late and leave early just to tailgate/go to
McFadden's, you might as well not even go, and let someone else who will stay, get your ticket.

4. If you are going to yell to players, know their name
I understand that not everyone will know everyone's name, but if you don't know for sure, don't say a name, just say "let's go buddy" or "strike this guy out". I am tired of hearing "Go Rick Dorito" or "Let's go Shawn". WHO THE HELL IS SHAWN?!?

5. Don't be an instigator
This one is tricky, because we all like to razz the other teams' fans. My personal rule is if they aren't being annoying (or assholish) then they should be left alone. I am not going to curse at/yell/start a fight with a Brewer fan because he's wearing the jersey. I wouldn't expect that in Milwaukee, Denver, or any other city. Now I can see friendly joking around such as "haha you traveled 1000 miles to see your team lose". If they start stuff with you, or another Philadelphia fan, it is okay to reply (in whatever way you would like).

*This does not include saying (loudly) near a Mets fan that they are in 4th place, 10 games back (especially if said Mets fan is not even at a Phillies-Mets game)*

6. Shut your mouth
I don't mind conversation during the game with a friend or relative, but nobody around you wants to hear about your car breaking down, or how you can't get into bars because you are underage.

7.If you stand, stand with 2 outs, 2 strikes
Personally for me, this is superstitious. You don't have to stand, but if you do, please don't do it before 2 outs, 2 strikes. I have seen so many times people standing with 1 out, or 2 outs, 1 strike, and bad news happens.

8.Jersey fouls
Do you buy a jersey because the player is the "hot player"? Do you buy one just because we've won a World Series? Is your jersey a lesser player because that's all that was left in September last year? Personally I can't wait to see someone rock a Ben Francisco jersey.

9.Promotions should not equal tickets
I like bobbleheads as much as the next person, but I am not only going to go to games just for free giveaways. This ties in with #10.

10.The Game comes first
Sure, I like all the fun stuff like the Bobblehead races between innings, or making fun of people acting foolishly on the Jumbotron, but while the game is on, that is all that should matter. The Phanatic is a distraction at this point, as is leaving to go to McFadden's early, or anything else.

I do want to add two more:
11. Don't wear Eagles, Flyers, Sixers, or any other Philly jersey to the game. You're at a Phillies game. Don't be a jack ass.

12. Don't start and EAGLES chant

EDIT:
13. The Wave..... assholes.

2 Comments:

Dan said...

GO SHAWN VICTORINO!! GAH!

John "Roose" Russo said...

I LOLed at "Rick Dorito"